Sunday, October 14, 2012

Up In Smoke

The other day I saw a video from the events of September 11th that chilled me more than any other image had since that fateful day eleven years ago. The video was of the firsthand account of a family living within eye sight of the towers in the heart of New York City. When I say within eyesight, I should really say that they lived close enough to safely hear the crash, watch as the second plane hits the second tower, and react in a close but safe proximity while the aftermath of the crashes ensues.
All of the images of 9/11 that I have seen show the towers from an aerial view, and while enormity of the damage being done to the city is not overlooked, it seems much more impactful viewing the attack as an average bystander.
Throughout the video you hear the woman holding the camera commentating more or less on the events unfolding before her eyes.
I was ten years old on September 11th. Because of this, I didn’t fully understand the impact of the events of that day. Through the viewing of this video, as the smoke from the collapse surrounds the windows of the buildings, the solemnity of the day is visualized.

1 comment: